Monday, August 2, 2010

Happy Anniversary!!

It's been one month! We're still at that point, like when you're in the beginning of a relationship in 8th grade, where we're so new we can celebrate each month, though unlike that same relationship, we will last a year. In any case, I type this with bruised fingers, because I've spend the evening playing a guitar, something I haven't done in years. It felt really good. What feels like a century ago, more like five years ago, I was such a regular at open mic night that people knew the words to the songs I had written. I was never very good at guitar, but I am a singer if nothing else in this world, and my songs weren't half bad. Tonight, I am thankful that my friend Larrin asked me to sing a song or two at her gig, and is actually playing them for me so I don't embarrass myself. I forgot how much I loved to sing, how much it is a part of me, how it is something about which I never doubt myself. I AM a singer. I forgot.



~Jen

2 comments:

That's So Missy said...

I didn't know that you sang! I would love more than anything to hear you one day! I'm sorry I've been so busy. I'm grateful to have this moment to catch up and read this.

The Cynical Optimist said...

yeah, I have a BA in vocal performance. :) as much as this has really not served me well, I am grateful for the experience, even if i disappointed my voice teacher and did not go on to grad school for opera (though, i'd probably have a job now...)