Monday, July 5, 2010

The beach




When I was living upstate a few years ago, despite the fact that my roommate made my life unbearably uncomfortable and basically hell, I was really more put off by not living near water. I grew up on the Long Island Sound, and take for granted that not everyone lives on an island. Water makes everything better; when I wanted to write, I'd go to the water, when I wanted to think about life, I'd go to the water, when I needed to pine over a boy, I'd go to the water, when I wanted to appreciate a sunset with friends, I would go to the water. There's something about it that soothes my soul, and I realize that I need to live somewhere that isn't very far away from some large body of water or another. Not a lake though; there's something about water surrounded by trees on all sides that takes away the grandness, the life affirming scale of a body of water that can welcome a sunset into it's arms. I need that. And so, as much as I hate the fact that I am stuck at my parent's house for the time being, a victim of the economy and some bad life choices (but mostly the economy) I am grateful that I am able to live near the water again.




I am also grateful that my parents are kind enough to let me live here as I get myself back on my feet, but that's another blog for another day.....


~Jen

6 comments:

That's So Missy said...

I'm grateful for my rain shower head. It's saved my life during these hot summer days. I'm grateful for my iphone, also, my deli guy who tells me he misses me. That's really nice.

Anonymous said...

Today I am grateful for my daughter, who is far wiser than I will ever be.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Cynical Optimist said...

I'm grateful that the past is just that: the past.

Larrin said...

I'm grateful to have you and me near the water together again!...seriously though those are the two things I am totally most grateful for right now. I hate to say it but we took each other for granted... this is MUCH better.

That's So Missy said...

I don't think she's a victim at all, I think sometimes we come across people that aren't good for us. These people aren't bad people, they just aren't good for us. That's a good lesson also, it's good to learn who the people are that bring the best out of you, and the people that may not. Not because they are bad, but because they just aren't the right fit for your personality. We are all so different, it's about finding those people that fit how wonderful and different we are, and bring that out.