Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"Smile, I love you!”

Last night I hosted a film festival with some friends, and right away I went in to the event with a poor mind-set. I had to work right before I got there, so I was already worn out. Then, when we got there, we couldn’t play live music like we had planned. What's more, the folks that were having a show downstairs started taking all of our chairs. It felt like one of those nights where everything that could go wrong, was going wrong. Finally, a delightful friend of mine that was there sent me a text that said, “Smile, I love you!”

That’s when I thought to myself, “Yes! Smile! Just relax and have fun, because that’s all you have control over at this moment. It’s way more fun to be happy and not stressed out.” Then, the most unexpected thing happened; as soon as I let go and started to just have fun, the whole night got better. It was like the energy of the room shifted. The whole night ended up being a amazing success. The films were just wonderful! Like more fantastic than I could have hoped for, and I had to stop for a second and go, “I thought of this night. That’s pretty neat.” Now I in no way did the night alone. It takes a village! I have a really awesome village! I’m so grateful for all of my friends. I am the luckiest girl in the whole world.

I guess my point is; it’s better to have a good attitude no matter what, because it doesn’t feel any better having bad one. I knew that, but I needed someone from my awesome village to send me a little reminder. We all need reminders sometimes. I’m grateful for a few things, I’m grateful that I learned it’s better to relax and have fun. I’m grateful that I have people in my life now that really want to best from me, that want me to be a good person.

So take a look around at the people in your life, the things, the moments, and ask yourself: What are you grateful for?

This is one of the wonderful Films from the evening:


1 comment:

The Cynical Optimist said...

I'm grateful for the star wars pencil box I now own and the people who were kind enough to let me purchase it with Dave and Buster tickets.

I am also grateful that this blog is keeping spirits up (even if it's just mine and Missy's) and that I can still be excited by silly things like skeeball and silly bandz, that I have retained my ability to think like a child.

Also, I'm going to start trying to do what you've mentioned here: get out of my head worrying about things and just be in the moment, so no sad Jen faces from now on, no matter how much I get to say or don't say! ;)