Friday, July 16, 2010

cool, man

As I was driving home from work in the 92 degree heat this afternoon, windows down, just enough gas to get home, but not enough to turn on the air, I thought of how cold I'd be when I got home. My stepfather, my mother kids, is trying to make it the right temperature to use the wood burning stove. As much as it's strange wearing sweatpants and sweaters in the summer, I greatly appreciate the air. For a long time growing up, we didn't have it, and I believe that the decision to get it was not for us humans, but because my stepdad was concerned about the animals melting in the summer. I remember being in New Orleans in August, the humidity like jello, stopping in doorways to steal some cool. To think that anyone in extreme heat may have to go without this luxury was insane to me at the time, and going on heat wave #30 (this year and it's only July) I am super grateful for the fact that as I type this, I am in the line of fire of a cool (freezing) breeze.

Also, iced coffee.


Also also, that I only worked one job today!! woohoo!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am grateful for the many opportunities to save others which I am presented with, and still have emough in me to grieve when I can't nwhich I know makes me human.

That's So Missy said...

Honestly, the AC is a great reason to go to work. Other than getting paid. Also, we always have food. I will never go hungry at my job. The more I think about my job, the more I realize, I'm really very lucky.