Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Way Too Smooth

I often wish someone would write a book called, “What My Mother Forgot to Mention”. The very first chapter of that book would be called “Mom, Why do have hair there?” When I started going through puberty, I was reasonably prepared. My mother was always really candid with me, maybe a little too candid at times-- so I was completely prepared for leg hair, armpit hair, and “down there” hair. Needless to say, I was equipped for most things, or so I thought…

Then one day, I remember finding hair on my big toe and freaking out! I thought to myself, “Oh my god, I have too much testosterone in my body. Something’s wrong with me. This is awful. I’m the first girl ever to have hair on her big toe.” I was about eleven years old, and I go up to my mother and say, “Mom, is there something wrong with me? Was I born a boy? I have hair on my big toe.” She just started to laugh, “Oh yeah, all women do. Just shave it.” As I got older, I started to get chin whiskers too, (delightful) Again, I ran to my mother, and she just smiled and said, “I have them too, and so did your grandma and your kids will have them, just use the tweezers”. “Great!” I thought to myself, “Now I get to shave and pluck. Being a woman rules…not!”

The funny thing is; we’re raised to believe that women are these perfect hairless creatures. Yet, there’s so much we have to go through to maintain that, but we do it! Because we are women… and we are amazing like that! So today I’m grateful to everything and every person that helps me get rid of my body hair. Thank you, to my razor, Nair, Jolene bleach, tweezers, the lady that waxes my “down there” hair and eyebrows, and so many, many, many countless gadgets and doodads that go into my body hair removal. I would not be this smooth without you!

Also, I’m grateful for my Mom, because she never made me feel bad for any questions that I had.

If you live in New York City:
This is my favorite place to go, the girls are so nice! Also, the prices are reasonable.
http://myshobha.com/index.html

3 comments:

That's So Missy said...

I'm grateful today for speakers at work, so I can enjoy some music while I work alone tonight. I'm grateful for steak! Cause it's awesome!

The Cynical Optimist said...

I'm grateful for the way my days off have magically coincided with my mother's and my boyfriend's days off, so that I get to have coffee and shopping days in the car with mom, and wander around the city days with Tim.

Also, I am grateful that my days off often coincide with Missy's for sushi night!

Anonymous said...

I am grateful for boys who had no idea that at some point most girls shave their toes.