Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Universe Knows

I was in the process of writing a blog about being grateful for things you don't have yet, thanking the universe for things you would like, as if you already have them, when I got the news that an old co-worker of mine had passed away today. Old as in, I haven't worked there in years, though I think he was only 25. He's been sick for two years and I didn't know. I keep up with some of my former coworkers from that job via Facebook, but since he was not on it, to my knowledge at least, I hadn't spoken to him in ages. He had an illness that he was said to have fought bravely, but today had to give up the fight. Or, accept his heaven. However you'd like to think of it. He must be in a better place, or at least I'd like to think he is. He was such a bright, thoughtful, funny kid when I knew him, someone I always pictured getting married, having kids, and enjoying his life, but this was not his plan. I know this is just a downer of a blog, but as I celebrate his memory, I am grateful for all of the health I and my family and friends currently enjoy. I am more grateful that I could ever express that I still have my mother, father, stepfather, brothers, sister,boyfriend, two grandparents, all of my aunts and uncles, brothers, sister, stepbrother and sisters, and cousins, and all of my friends in good health, still here with me.

and with that, go tell someone you haven't told in a while that you love them. Hug them. Kiss them. Pinch their cheeks. Be happy you have them.


~Jen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am grateful that each day I get to tell my daughter that I love her.

That's So Missy said...

I'm grateful that I have a healthy family. That I've been meeting great friends. People take great friends for granted, but they shouldn't. That's like taking gold for granted. I'm so lucky. I thank God everyday.