Friday, July 9, 2010

Weird and Wonderful Periods

“If only there were a button somewhere that I could push. To force me to stop talking…” Angela [My So Called Life]

For years now I’ve felt like I was back in middle school again; just really weird, with bad hair, face full of zits and a stutter. I guess we all go through ‘the weird” period in our lives. But for the last few years, from ages 27 to 30—I’ve been a hot mess! Truthfully, the more I think about it, I’m so thankful. I feel like we all need those really weird and wonderful periods in our lives to make us grateful for the moments when everything feels, like, enough. But, also learn how to take all of the awkward-silly-moments with a grain of salt, and discover how to make those feel less crappy, maybe even make them feel funny or enjoyable.

To be totally honest, I’m really grateful that I’ve gone through a lot of uncomfortable moments in my life. It’s made me a better person. It’s made me compassionate and tolerant. It’s also taught me that who I am today, isn’t who I’m going to be tomorrow--Thank God for that!! The point is-- weird happens. When it does, it makes you a better person. Therefore, I’m grateful for all of “the weird” periods. Also, whatever doesn’t kill us, gives us a really awesome sense of humor, or a really excellent story. That’s what life’s all about at the end of the day, a really great story.

4 comments:

That's So Missy said...

I'm grateful for Root Beer, which is always fun. I'm grateful for my Dad's really bad jokes. I'm grateful that I get to have girlie time with Jen tomorrow.

The Cynical Optimist said...

I am grateful that my third job is filled with so many wonderful people, people that were so happy to see me after my month off that it made my night more than the money I made. Also, that I went through painfully uncomfortable weird periods in my life that made me the laid back, comfortable, funny person I am today, refusing to let anything make me uncomfortable ever again, and to make it my business to make other people comfortable. I am also grateful that I will have girl time with Missy tomorrow!

The Cynical Optimist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am grateful for lemonade. It seems to cure all ills, physical and otherwise.